SBC President's Page - Welcome
President of the Southern Baptist Convention
A successful businessman before answering God’s call to ministry, Bryant is a respected
Bible teacher, pastor, husband, father and community leader. He is a straightforward communicator who uniquely connects
God's unchanging truth with a diverse culture through compelling and creative teaching.
He was called in 1981 to be the Senior Pastor of Johnson
Ferry Baptist Church. The church campus is located on Johnson Ferry Rd. in Marietta, Georgia.
Bryant is also the Founder and Chairman of Right From The Heart Ministries. Using secular and Christian
radio, television, print media and the internet, Bryant provides challenging, inspirational and insightful messages to encourage
people in this hard-charging world in which we live.
He has authored five books, One Minute of Your Time, Another Minute of Your Time, One Minute of Your Day,
Seeds of Turmoil and Right from the Heart. You can find out more about Bryant's resources, including listening or viewing
his messages online or downloading podcasts by going to www.rfth.org.
A native of Atlanta, Bryant and his wife, Anne reside in Marietta, Georgia. He received a Bachelor of Arts
in English from the University of South Carolina in 1974 and a Master of Divinity from Southern Baptist Seminary in 1980. Bryant has been awarded two honorary doctorates from SEFOVAN seminary in Madrid, Spain (2007) and the Doctor of Humane Letters from the University of South Carolina (2011).
They have three sons, two daughters-in-law, and three grandchildren.
Married Anne Hoskins Wright on August 17, 1974. Anne graduated from Augusta State University in 1976.
Bryant and Anne have three sons:
- George, married to Megan Pickworth on June 30, 2001; both graduated from University
of South Carolina; granddaughter, McKenna, born June 2004; grandson, George Bryant Wright, IV (Brody); born May 2006; granddaughter,
Anna Beth, born February 2008
graduated from University of South Carolina, married to Brooke Tucker in August 2005.
- David, graduate of University of South Carolina;
married to Kate Francis in November 2010
Parents are George and Beth Wright of Atlanta, both of whom also graduated from the University of South Carolina.
|Johnson Ferry Baptist Church
||December 1981 – Present
Called by Johnson Ferry when it was a mission of First Baptist, Marietta with a membership of about twenty families meeting in an empty
doctor’s office. As of May 2011, Johnson Ferry had over 8,000 members and 7 Sunday morning worship services with an average worship
attendance of over 4,600.
- From its beginning, the church has had a strong missions emphasis:
- Over the past 10 years, JF has given an average of 18.9% of the operating budget to mission causes – with
approximately 10.5% going to Southern Baptist mission causes.
- The first 10% of funds raised in the first 5 capital campaigns was given to mission endeavors, and about 20% is
being given to missions in the present capital campaign (Nov 2008-Dec 2011).
- In 2010 over 1,600 people went on 75 short-term mission trips – locally and to 30 nations around the world.
- JF has sponsored 7 church starts in Cobb and Paulding Counties and North Atlanta.
- JF has co-sponsored 6 additional church starts in various parts of the U.S.
|Right From The Heart Ministries
||Founder and Chairman
This radio, television, and internet ministry airs 30- to 60-second inspirational spots on secular radio and television. It also includes
a teaching ministry at http://www.rightfromtheheart.org/.
- 131 radio stations in GA; 97 in Florida; 1 in Texas, 1 in Montana, and 1 in Alaska
- Broadcasts are in 4 languages; signals heard in 8 countries: U.S., Mexico, Poland, India, Pakistan, Russia, Spain and
- 4.54 million radio listeners per month in the U.S., Polish, and Spanish- language stations
- 10-12 million listeners per day in India
- Television: typical schedule includes CNN, ESPN, Headline News, and Fox News in metro Atlanta
- Over 120,000 subscribers to daily devotions via the website, RSS Feed, email, and Facebook
- Over 3.0 million devotions posted to subscribers in April 2011
- Over 12,000 sermons downloaded per month from rightfromtheheart.org over the last 6 months
- Over 98,000 Facebook fans (Spanish, English, and Polish)
|Second Baptist Church
||1979 – 1981
||Minister to Single Adults/College
Began the Singles Ministry and saw it grow to approximately 1,000 adults enrolled in Sunday School. Was involved in planning special activities,
preaching at Single Adult meetings, counseling, performing weddings, and coordinating other church activities.
|Cove Hill Baptist Church
||1978 – 1979
||Seminary Pastorate – Part Time
Served this 150-member church while at seminary. Preached twice on Sundays and was involved with visitation, weddings, and funerals.
|Peterhead Baptist Church
Roles of service included preaching, visitation, and youth ministry
Board of Visitors – University of South Carolina (1998-2002)
Prior to entering full-time Christian work, was employed as a Sales Representative for Puritan Chemical Company in Augusta, Georgia (1974-1977).
President – Southern Baptist Convention (2010-2012)
Board of Trustees – GuideStone Financial Resources (2009-2013)
Board of Trustees – Truett-McConnell College (2007-2010)
President of the Pastors' Conference of the Southern Baptist Convention (2006)
Chairman of the Committee on Committees of the Southern Baptist Convention (2003)
Board of Trustees – Shorter College (1990-1995)
Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters, University of South Carolina – May 2011
Honorary Doctorate, SEFOVAN Seminary, Madrid, Spain – June 2007
Master of Divinity, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY – June 1979
Bachelor of Arts in English, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC – 1974
Dykes High School, Atlanta, GA – 1970
Excellent health. Interests include sports and other outdoor activities, jogging, golf, racquetball and reading.
Bryant is the author of five books
- One Minute of Your Time
- Another Minute of Your Time
- One Minute of Your Day
- Seeds of Turmoil (biblical origins of Middle East conflict)
- Right From The Heart (to be released in August 2011)